Just in time for back to school shopping, both Maryland and Virginia are holding sales tax holidays in the month of August. The “Shop Maryland Tax-Free Week” for 2019 is Sunday, August 11 – Saturday, August 17. Virginia is holding its annual sales tax holiday on August 2-4, 2019. Please see below for more details.
- Dates: August 11-17
- Items Included:
- Qualifying apparel and footwear $100 or less, per item, are exempt from the state sales tax.
- Accessory items are generally not included; however, the first $40 of a backpack/bookbag purchase is also tax-exempt.
- Full List of Tax-Exempt Items
For more information, visit the Maryland Comptroller’s Tax-Free Week site
- Dates: August 2-4
- Items included:
- Qualified school supplies costing $20 or less per item
- Qualified clothing and footwear costing $100 or less per item
- Certain hurricane and emergency preparedness products. Price limits vary by item.
- Note that this includes some common household items, such as batteries, bottled water, flashlights, duct tape, and smoke/CO detectors.
- Qualifying EnergyStar and Watersense products costing $2,500 or less per item (purchased for noncommercial home/personal use).
The VA Department of Taxation has provided more information about which items qualify on their website.
Questions? Please reach out to us email@example.com or 800.899.3633.